At our last Fine Wine Divas event, we explored the world of South African wines with Cape Classics, the premier South African wine importer in the U.S.
From Rosé to Whites to Reds, Cape Classics tasted us through the following line up we tasted through a selection of Cape Classics…
- Mulderbosch Rose 2013
- Bayten Sauvignon Blanc 2013
- Raats Original Chenin Blanc 2012
- Bartinney Chardonnay 2012
- Glenelly Glass Collection Chardonnay 2012
- Thelema Mountain Red 2011
- Kanonkop Pinotage 2011
- Glenelly Cabernet Sauvignon 2011
The evening’s favorites?
- Region: Constantia
- Variety: 100% Sauvignon Blanc
- Aroma: Green fig, gooseberry and lime
- Taste: Crisp and full-bodied with notes of pepper and herbs
- Price: $15.99
- My thoughts: The perfect summer wine, I liked what South Africa is doing with their Sauvignon Blanc.
- Region: Western Cape
- Variety: Shiraz (41%), Petit Verdot (22%), Cabernet Sauvignon (20%), Merlot (8%), Grenache (6%), Cabernet Franc (3%)
- Aroma: Black pepper and mulberry
- Taste: Intense but well-balanced palate with notes of ripe plums
- Price: $15.00
- My thoughts: An approachable and great everyday red wine! Would go with a variety of meals.
- Region: Simonsberg-Stellenbosch
- Variety: Pinotage
- Aroma: Blackberry, raspberry, banana
- Taste: Mocha, smoke, spices, dark ripe fruits, a hint of banana
- Price: $35.00
- My thoughts: A beautiful special occasion red.
To learn more about the history of South African wine, check out The Wines of South Africa website. Amongst other resources, this website provides information on how the wine industry has changed in the 20 years since South Africa became a democracy, and the trends and events that are moving them forward.
For more information on Cape Classics, please visit their website.
Cheers to the world of South African wines! Look forward to visiting!