Our June Fine Wine Divas event set our members up for summer entertaining success as we tried a variety of white wines – perfect for sipping on your back patio, front porch, or in a nice air-conditioned room.
Throughout the evening, we tasted the following sparkling and still white wines:
- J Cuvée 20 Brut (NV), California, USA ($28)
- Louis de Sacy Brut Grand Cru (NV), Champagne, France ($37)
- 2011 Sonoma-Cutrer Sonoma Coast Chardonnay, California, USA ($19)
- 2012 Bayten Sauvignon Blanc, South Africa ($14)
- 2012 Colomé Torrontés, Argentina ($13)
- Fuzelo Vinho Verde (NV), Portugal ($9)
- Di Lenardo Pinot Grigio (NV), Friuli, Italy ($13)
- Veritas Vineyard White Star (NV), Virginia, USA ($18)
- 2011 Georg Albrecht Schneider Niersteiner Hipping Riesling Spätlese, Germany ($19)
And the evening’s favorites were…
Louis de Sacy Brut Grand Cru (NV)
- Variety: 60% Pinot Noir, 35% Chardonnay, 5% Pinot Meunier from Champagne, France
- Aroma: Red fruits, citrus, herbs
- Taste: Honey, yeast and apple
- Price: $37 (available at Whole Foods)
- Pair with: Salty appetizers, light summer salad
- My thoughts: This is one of my favorite Champagnes and it did not disappoint.
Veritas Vineyard White Star (NV)
- Variety: Blend of Viognier, Traminette, Chardonnay, Petite Manseng from Virginia
- Aroma: Apricot, slight florals
- Taste: Mango, pineapple and coconut
- Price: $18 (available at www.VeritasWines.com)
- Pair with: Spicy Asian cuisine
- My thoughts: With a touch of sweetness and the blend of whites, it’s perfect for a hot summer day.
2012 Colomé Torrontés
- Variety: 100% Torrontés from Calchaqui Valley, Argentina
- Aroma: Rose, spice and grapefruit
- Taste: Round and full bodied with notes of jasmine, orange blossom and elegant tropical fruit
- Price: $13 (available at www.HessCollection.com)
- Pair with: Fresh seafood and grilled chicken
- My thoughts: This was a winner with everyone and much more full bodied than other Torrontés I’ve tried.
As a Virginia wine lover, I was thrilled to see a wine from Charlottesville make the top 3 for the evening!
Check out this handy infographic categorizing the 20 words most often used to describe white wines – making it easy to describe (and find!) what you like!
Cheers to Summer!