The 5th Annual Virginia Wine Expo last weekend featured 76 of Virginia’s now 210 wineries sampling over 400 wines. It was a great opportunity to hit 23 wineries and sample about 100 wines, some new discoveries and some old favorites. Over the next few articles I’ll share some of my finds.
Tasting with Amy Sunday at the Expo she told me the story of how Well Hung came about. She was out in the vineyard one day checking on the grapes with her friend Tracy Verkerke who commented “the grapes are so well hung.” They thought what a perfect name for a wine especially because for Amy’s family “everything is below the waste.” Her husband is a urologist. ;)
They had a great name and Tracy designed the fabulous label (it’s Amy’s husband and sons) but now they needed wine. They thought about buying California wine to label but then realized they should make their own wine with the grapes growing right in front of them. It was the same time Michael Shaps was opening Virginia Wine Works with a custom crush facility so they became Michael’s first customer! Amy, Tracy and Kathy Rash officially started Well Hung Vineyard.
In less than three years they’ve grown from 200 to 1,000 cases. When you see their brand and taste their wine, you can see why. Their booth was packed at the Expo.
I tasted through six wines with Amy, 2010 Everyday Chardonnay, 2010 Viognier (Gold Medal Winner International Women’s Wine Competition), 2011 Blush, 2010 Cabernet Franc, 2010 Merlot-Verdot and her special Very Well Hung Chardonnay. My favorites…
- Varietal: 100% Cabernet Franc
- Aroma: Tart fresh berry
- Taste: Strawberries and cream
- Price: $17.99
- My thoughts: This is a great summer sipping rosé made of Cabernet Franc! Great way to use the grape. Was fun to taste next to their 2010 Cabernet Franc…same grape made in different ways, strawberry from both.
Very Well Hung Chardonnay
- Varietal: 100% Chardonnay
- Aroma: Fruit forward, hint of oak
- Taste: Smooth lingering finish
- Price: only made 19 cases
- My thoughts:Â This is Amy’s pride and joy she snuck me a taste of. Excellent wine!
Cheers to Well Hung…a fun and fresh take on wine!