What a brilliant event going on at my local Whole Foods in Alexandria, Virginia every Wednesday! Since the first of the year, they’ve been hosting this 5-7pm event featuring wines from different regions and excellent food pairings.
For only $5 you get a Whole Foods wine glass, five healthy pours of the five featured wines and five sample plates of their five-course menu. If you bring your glass back each week you get $1 off. They also provide you with a little handout of all the recipes.
Last night was my first Winesdays and they were featuring South Africa. Boy, was it packed! As you browse through the store, the five stations are scattered throughout creating a party atmosphere that encourages mingling. And boy was it packed…lines were ten to fifteen people deep. They’ve created quite the event!
Last night’s menu featured…
1st Course: Mulderbosch Chenin Blanc + Cold Bean Salad with Curried Vegetables
- This and the last course were my favorites of both wine and food.
- Chenin Blanc is a really nice medium bodied crisp wine, honeysuckle and lime aromas and taste.
2nd Course: Rustenberg Chardonnay + Grilled Turmeric and Yogurt Chicken
- Chardonnay is a medium bodied wine with a hint of oak on the nose, light buttery mouth feel with citrus and spice.
- The spice in the chicken cut the slight oak in the wine and brought out vanilla and more citrus.
3rd Course: Riebeek Cellars Pinotage + Spiced Lamb and Tomato Stew
- Pinotage is medium bodied with plum and subtle oak pairing nicely with the stew’s spices.
4th Course: Warwick Three Cape Ladies + Braised Corn and Lima Beans with Potatoes
- This blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz and Pinotage is a full bodied wine of dark berry flavor and a touch of spice.
5th Course: Jam Jar Sweet Shiraz + Pound Cake
- The juicy berry of this wine truly tastes like jam.
- It was a perfect pairing in the glass AND as the topping poured over the pound cake…yum!
According to the Whole Foods team, attendance is growing each week. I’m looking forward to my next one and taking a few friends along.
Cheers to Winesdays![/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]