Here are some great places to go if you’re looking for a haunted escape this Halloween or anytime of year.
- St. James Hotel, Cimarron, New Mexico: According to Food & Wine, “There are seven ghosts that are here all the time, and we get the good, the bad and the ugly.” Event coordinator Judy Kahlor knows the troublemakers when she senses them: “That’s when we get the parties in the bar, poker games in the high roller room, and people get pennies thrown at them in bed at four in the morning.” Room 18 in particular has become a haven for visiting spirits.
- Stanley Hotel, Estes Park, Colorado: A stay at this hotel near Rocky Mountain National Park inspired Stephen King to write The Shining. Food & Wine says resident paranormal investigator Callea Sherrill first encountered the hotel’s otherworldly inhabitants in Room 407, where she was staying one night with two friends. “I heard footsteps come down the hallway,” Sherrill recalls. “They stopped outside the door. I waited for a knock, but nobody knocked. Just then I felt someone sit down next to me on the bedâ€”I even saw the mattress dip.” The next morning her friend Terry, whom Sherrill had thought was asleep, asked, “Who sat down on the bed with us last night?” Can you imagine???
- Hotel Roosevelt, Los Angeles, California: Marilyn Monroe is thought to haunt this LA hot spot.
- The Equinox Resort, Vermont: Dating back to 1769, this hotel was a favorite spot of Abe Lincoln’s family and is said to be haunted by his wife Mary Todd Lincoln.
- Queen Mary, Long Beach, California: This once famous ocean liner is now a docked hotel. Attractions at night on board include the Paranormal Spirit Box, Paranormal Spirit Walk and Dining with the Spirits.