The hills are alive in Salzburg… with The Sound of Music. The American Tony award winning musical and 1965 Academy award winning film are set here and based on a true story. Maria von Kutschera, a candidate at the Benedictine Convent on Nonnberg in Salzburg, becomes governess to Baron Georg von Trapp’s seven children and later becomes his wife. In the early 30’s Maria founded a family choir that did public performances while in Austria. After fleeing the country on Hitler’s annexation of Austria in 1938, they moved to the USA and their performing allowed them to purchase a farm in Stowe, Vermont, in 1941 which ultimately became the Trapp Family Lodge. Today the Trapp Family Lodge is a flourishing hotel.
Visitors from around the world flock here for a piece of The Sound of Music and they are not disappointed. A bit kitschy but you’re here, so why not?
You can see many of the sites from the movie on your own in town…
- The Benedictine Convent on Nonnberg: where the nuns sing ‘Maria’
- Mirabell Gardens and Palace: Maria and the children sing ‘Do-Re-Mi’
- Residenz Square and Fountain: Maria crosses the square in a bus on her way from Nonnberg Convent to the Trapp Villa singing ‘I have confidence in me’
- Felsenreitschule: where the Trapp Family performed its farewell song and Baron von Trapp sang Edelweiss
- St. Peter’s Cemetery: the dramatic flight scenes were based on this cemetery
I also recommend a tour with Bob’s Special Tours (€40 per person for the 4 hour tour, its in a small mini-bus holding only 8 people so you aren’t packed on a tour bus). You’ll follow in Maria’s tracks…
- City highlights are pointed out
- Leopoldskron Palace: where the family lived in the film and where the children fell in the lake
- Hellbrunn Palace: famous ‘I am 16 going on 17’ gazebo is here as is the dirt road from ‘I have confidence in me’
- Salzkammergut/Lake District: picturesque countryside drive full of songs and a stop for local pastries in the village of St. Gilgen
- Mondsee Church: walk the aisle of Maria’s wedding
So Long…Farewell…Auf Wiedersehen…Good Bye. :)[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]